March 19, 2007


Clarkson rallies to ECAC crown


Associated Press/Tim Roske
Clarkson players celebrate after scoring a goal to tie the game against Quinnipiac in the third period of Saturday’s ECAC championship game in Albany. Clarkson won 4-2.

ALBANY (AP) — Blanked for two periods, Clarkson erupted with four goals in the third to defeat Quinnipiac, 4-2, in the championship game of the ECAC men’s hockey tournament Saturday.
The Golden Knights’ Chris D’Alvise had a goal and two assists, all in the third, and was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player.
It is the fifth league championship, and first since 1999, for Clarkson (25-8-5), which earned an automatic berth into the NCAA tournament.
In just its second year in the league, Quinnipiac ended its season at 21-14-5. The Bobcats upset top-seeded and 11th-ranked St. Lawrence, 4-0, in Friday’s semifinals.
Brodie Rutherglen scored what proved to be the game-winning goal in the third period.
The goal came only 50 seconds after Clarkson tied the game at 2-2, when Philippe Paquet scored.
Shawn Weller scored into an empty net with 56.2 seconds remaining to seal the win for the second-seeded Golden Knights, ranked fifth in the country.
Quinnipiac scored in the first and last minute of the first period to take a 2-0 lead with goals by Jean-Marc Beaudoin and Bryan Leitch.
Quinnipiac’s loss helped the cause of 11th-ranked St. Lawrence, which rallied with two third-period goals to edge Dartmouth, 5-3, in Saturday’s consolation game.
The Saints (23-13-2) rebounded from Friday’s loss to win for the ninth time in 11 games and enhance their chances at earning an at-large NCAA bid.
Mike McKenzie tipped in a his second goal of the game to snap a 3-3 tie and give the Saints (23-13-2) their ninth win in the last 11 games.
Bagnall, ECAC Player of the Year, had two assists as regular-season champion St. Lawrence, ranked 11th in the country, bounced back from a 4-0 loss to Quinnipiac in Friday’s tournament semifinals.
Dartmouth (18-12-3) jumped out to a 2-0 lead when Nick Johnson scored off a turnover with 24.4 seconds left in the first, and T.J. Galiardi netted a power-play goal in the second.
St. Lawrence answered back with two goals in a span of 46 seconds. Kevin DeVergilio redirected a Matt Generous shot and McKenzie buried a rebound of Bagnall’s shot.
The Big Green called timeout after the goal, and responded by restoring their lead. J.T. Wyman scored in the second.
Jeremiah Cunningham scored for a tie less than two minutes later.
Saints goaltender Alex Petizian finished with 24 saves, while Mike Devine stopped 37 of the 42 shots he faced for Dartmouth.
OSWEGO TAKES TITLE: The Oswego Lakers, SUNY Athletic Conference regular season champions, became giant killers in the NCAA Division III Final Four.
In Sunday’s title game in Superior, Wis., the Lakers defeated three-time defending champion Middlebury 4-3 in overtime when sophomore Garren Reisweber scored with 7:05 left in the first sudden death period at Wessman Arena.
Oswego had reached the finals by knocking off top-ranked Norbert College in another 4-3 overtime outing, senior captain Ryan Woodward scoring at 3:51 of the extra session for the fifth ranked Lakers (23-3-3).
Against Middlbury (20-8-3) from Vermont, Oswego got two goals from Garren Reisweber, while All-America goalie Ryan Scott turned back 47 shots. Peter Magagna had a goal and an assis, with Trevor Gilligan also scoring.
Jamie McKenna, John Sales and John Sullivan had goals for Middlebury.
Though Oswego won the SUNYAC regular season title, it lost 3-2 to Fredonia in the conference semifinals. The Lakers still received at at-large bid and then rolled unbeaten through the NCAA tournament in dramatic fashion.
WISCONSIN WOMEN CHAMPS: Mark Johnson was involved in another championship at the Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid on Sunday, but this one didn’t involve any miracles.
Mark Johnson, who scored two goals in the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team’s “Miracle on Ice” upset win over the Soviet Union, coached the University of Wisconsin women’s team to its second consecutive national title with a 4-1 victory over Minnesota Duluth in the championship of the NCAA Women’s Final Four.
Wisconsin (36-1-4), the top seed in the tournament, completed the season with a 26-game unbeaten streak and 12 consecutive victories. Its only loss was to Minnesota Duluth on Nov. 24.



Dragons finish trip unbeaten

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. — For the first time since 1998, the SUNY Cortland baseball team has gone_unbeaten during its annual spring trip to Florida.
The Red Dragons capped a successful week by beating Western New England College 12-4 on Saturday in a clash of nationally-ranked squads, with junior outfielder and Cortland High graduate Sean Caughey smacking a two-run pinch hit home run.
Cortland is ranked sixth in Division III and has already knocked off three ranked schools — No. 8 Carthage, No. 21 Western New England and No. 27 Rowan. Coach Joe Brown’s squad stands 9-0 with a home game against Utica College scheduled for 3 p.m. Wednesday if the weather cooperates.
Cortland never trailed, but led just 3-1 after six innings before breaking things open in the late going. Caughey’s home run ignited a 3-run seventh, the Red Dragons going on to cross the plate six more times in the eighth.
Jimmy Dougher (3-0) was the winning pitcher, giving up four hits and a lone earned run before being_relieved in the sixth inning. He struck out four and walked one during his stint.
Cortland pounded out 16 hits, with third baseman Steve Nickel going 3-for-4 and first baseman Travis Robinson 3-for-5. Robinson had a pair of doubles.
Outfielder Dan Maycock drove in four runs and catcher Andersen Gardner had three RBI for the Red Dragons, both players going 2-for-5 with a double. Caughey finished 2-for-2 and scored twice.
Western New England fell to 1-2 with the loss, shortstop Ryan Kravontka going 2-for-4.



Dragons lax wins big at Dome

SYRACUSE — An early scoring spree provided the lacrosse boost SUNY Cortland men were seeking.
The Red Dragons scored six unanswered goals in the opening stanza, three of those coming from junior attackman Billy Fuchs, and went on to beat Springfield College 15-8 to begin a Saturday tripleheader at the Carrier Dome.
Fuchs finished with six goals and assisted on two others as the Red Dragons, ranked 16th in Division III, improved to 2-2.
Junior attackman Ryan Heath added three goals and three assists and senior midfielder Ryan Simensky recorded three goals and two assists for the Red Dragons. Sophomore Kevin Kliszczewicz scored his first two goals of the season in the win, while junior Kyle Simensky notched three assists.
In goal, sophomore Matt Hipenbecker made eight saves.
Sophomore Jake Beebe led Springfield (0-4) with two goals and two_assists.
Cortland’s quick 6-0 first quarter getaway included three straight goals by Fuchs in the final 4:38 of the period. Springfield responded by scoring the first four goals of the second quarter, three on extra-man situations, and was within 6-4 with 7:10 left in the half.
Kliszczewicz and Fuchs scored in the final three minutes of the half to give the Red Dragons an 8-4 halftime lead, and Fuchs added a goal 3:01 into the third quarter to extend the lead to 9-4. Cortland was up 10-5 after three quarters and pushed its advantage to 12-5 on goals by Ryan Simensky and Heath in the first 2:48 of the fourth quarter.
Springfield mounted one last run, scoring three straight goals to draw within 12-8 with 7:55 remaining, but Cortland scored the final three goals.