April 21, 2007


Trojans capture 1st win

Staff Writer

Homer Central boys started the scoring blitz early.
The Trojans jumped out to an 8-1 first-quarter lead, but still needed a late-game burst to finally subdue visiting Fulton 12-7 on George Butts Field Friday night in OHSL B Division lacrosse action.
It was the first win the Trojans, who are now 1-3 in the division and 1-7 overall. The Red Raiders fell to 0-4, 1-6 overall.
“It feels really good,” said Trojan senior defenseman and tri-captain Joe May, who scored his second goal in as many games. “We got it done tonight. Everyone played really hard and we did it right tonight.”
“It was nice to get a W (win),” said Homer coach Tom Cottrell. “The kids have been working really hard. I am glad to see them get rewarded for that. ”
The Homer faithful were not all seated when Trojans won the opening face-off and Brett Capps whistled a the first shot of the game passed Fulton goalkeeper Jeff Landers (11 saves) in 23 seconds. Just 23 seconds later, after another face-off win, May scooped up a groundball and raced across midfield. Not stopping, he cut to the middle of the field, stepped forward and fired the ball into the net for a 2-0 Trojan lead.
The early onslaught continued as Paul Armideo scored on a wrap-around with 7:53 on the clock, Erich Lindhorst ripped a shot home at 6:58, Shawn Cleary tallied with 6:23 to go and Steve Schillo tucked a shot under the crossbar with 3:49 left in the opening quarter for a 6-0 Trojan advantage.
Fulton finally won a face-off and got the ball in the Trojan defensive zone. Nick Bolton took a nice feed from Jeff Savory and got the Red Raiders on the board on their first shot with 2:35 left in the quarter.
The Trojans continued to control the match as Talon Sprouse scored with 1:44 left in the quarter and Lindhorst netted his second goal with 11 seconds on the clock after a nice assist from Cleary.
As easy as the first quarter was, it was equally as bad in the second quarter as the Trojans went flat. Fulton seized the opportunity and put five goals on the board to trim the deficit to 8-6 by halftime.
Dan Hanczyk started the run with 10:11 left in the quarter. Long-stick defender Mike Segouin, who played a solid game all night, scored for the Red Raiders with 9:10 left in the first half. Bolton followed at the 6:07 mark with his second goal of the game with Zach Plonka netting the final two tallies. His second tally, with 54 seconds left until the break, came on a rebound of a shot by Andrew Kinney that was blocked by Trojan goalkeeper Kyle Crosley (eight saves).
“We played good for three of the four quarters,” said Cottrell. “In the second quarter, we got away for the things that were successful in the first quarter. That was what got us in trouble.”
The third quarter saw both defenses stepping up. Fulton completed its six-goal unanswered run with 2:47 on the clock when Mike Towsley took a pass from David Williams and found a hole to cut the Trojan lead to 8-7.
The Trojans did not panic, but began picking up the intensity again. With 24 seconds left in the quarter, Will Connery got Homer some breathing room as he converted a nice feed from Capps to give the Trojans a 9-7 cushion.
The fourth quarter saw a rejuvenated Trojan team take charge and control the flow of the game like they did in the first quarter. Connery scored his second goal of the game with 11:21 left. Schillo added a man-up goal with 8:27 left and Sprouse scored with 6:38 to go to make the final count 12-7. For Schillo and Sprouse, it was their second goals of the evening.
Statistically, it was a solid team effort for Homer. The Trojans outshot Fulton 40-19, with a big edge in face-offs won (17-6) and groundballs (39-25) as well. Each team had five man-up chances with Homer the only team to capitalize.
“We kinda slowed down there in the second quarter, but we got it back together,” said May. “We started playing team defense and team lacrosse which got the win. That was all that mattered.”
“We took a deep breath after that second quarter and got back to playing good lacrosse in the third and fourth quarters,” said Cottrell. “The one thing I can always count on with these guys is that they do play hard every game. We were the first one to the ball tonight and that paid dividends for us.”
 Homer will return to action this afternoon as the Trojans travel to Chittenango to face East Syracuse-Minoa in a 2 p.m. OHSL B Division contest. After today’s game, the Trojans travel to New Hartford Tuesday for a 7 p.m. contest.
HOMER JVs scored 10 first-half goals and rolled to an easy 18-2 win over Fulton at Butts Field Friday. The undefeated Trojans (6-0) got balanced scoring from Aaron Darr with four goals, John Sciera with three goals and four assists and Mike Park three goals and one assist. Carl Zimmerman (three assists), Bennett Quinlan (one assist) and Kyle Hebert added two goals each with Luke Pederson and Brendan L’Hommedieu netting one goal each.
“It was a good team effort to get the win,” said Homer coach Geoff Sorenson. “This team continues to not just be satisfied with where they are and they keep working to get better. Mike Park has done a great job for us switching to midfield from defense because of some guys missing games over break. Kyle Hebert also did a great job for us tonight filling in for Jaydon Kiernan, who went down with an injury.”
Sorenson also praised the defensive efforts of Caleb Earl, Kyle Griffin, Matt Sharpe, Ben McBride and Ryan Murray for harassing the Fulton offense non-stop and making things easier for Trojan goalkeeper Paul Zimmerman (9 saves).



CHS, Marathon top Fling squads

MARATHON — The Cortland High boys and Marathon Central girls were crowned team track and field champions Friday at the inaugural annual Marathon Spring Fling Meet.
The Purple Tigers boys accumulated 205 points to 134 for runner-up Marathon, while DeRuyter was fifth with 49 and Moravia sixth with two.
Marathon girls won with 156 points to 92 for runner-up DeRuyter, while Moravia was fourth with 75.
Double winners for Cortland included Keith Sherman in the shot put (37-8) and discus (128-7), Brandon Casterline in the pole vault (10-0) and 400-meter relay and Dyquan Barlow in the 400 (57.53) and the 400m relay, which CHS won in 48.0. The other team members were Bayshawn Barlow and Kaywon Pitman.
Paul Novak won the 400m intermediate hurdles in 1:03.48 and Josh Houck the triple jump at 35-7, while the 3,200m relay team of Jordan Gillespie, Nolan Ray, Mike ODonnell and T.J. Rosetti won in 9:53.5.
“We opened with a strong showing,” Purple Tigers coach  Bob Vidulich said. “The way the weather has been the timing couldnt have been better. The 400 relay team did well, and Brandon had a pretty good day in the pole vault at 10-0. Kaywon was second in the high jump at 5-4, Dyquan’s time in winning the 400 was good and Bayshawn narrowly missed 18 feet in the long jump, which for opening day and the first time out is just a great showing.
“Novak won the 400 hurdles and Keith’s whopping throw in the discus has already qualified him for sectionals, plus he won the shot put. Josh won the triple jump, where Caleb Wright had a good jump of 33 feet. Overall it was a much-appreciated effort from the kids, and they all performed well.”
Cortland opens its OHSL Freedom Division duel meet season Monday at Chittenango.
Marathon was led by Erik Van Ingen won was a triple winner. The senior won the 800m (2:06.40); 1,600m (4:34,40) and 3,200m (10:30.1) events.
Other event winners for Marathon included senior Nick Compton, who captured the 100m and 200m dashes.
Josh Fuller was DeRuyter’s lone winner, taking the long jump at 17-3.
MARATHON GIRLS rolled to victory led by double winner Hayleigh Beth Smithling. The junior won the shot put (24-11.5) and discus (97-1).
Other Marathon winners include Lacey Pitman (400m), Melissa Cross (3,000m), Katie Rawluszki and the 400m relay team of Marta Malmberg, Rawluszki, Erin Rundle and Chelsea Wood.
Moravia had a double winner in Emily Dusseau, who captured the 100m (13.10) and 200m (28.35) dash events, plus single wins from Alicia McLaughlin (400m hurdles), Claire Hunsinger (high jump) and the 3,200m relay team of Aimee Glenister, Helen Hunsinger, McLaughlin and Kayla Slater.
Kristi Custer won the 100m hurdles (17.13) and triple jump (31-6) for DeRuyter, while teammate Samantha Moade won the 1,500m in 5:45.9.




Tigers, Trojans find bright side in defeat

Cortland High boys’ tennis coach was able to find the silver lining behind the dark cloud that was his team’s 6-1 OHSL Freedom Conference loss to visiting Mexico Friday afternoon.
In another Freedom Conference match, East Syracuse-Minoa handed Homer at 6-1 setback on the Trojans’ home court.
Mexico 6, Cortland 1: “I was pleasantly surprised, Walrath said, his team now 1-2 in the league and 2-3 overall. “Mexico is a good team, but not as strong as I thought. Once we get Steve Koltz back, we'll close the gap considerable when we go up there.”
Senior first singles Klotz was unavailable for this match but should be in the line-up when the two sides meet n May 9.
With everyone forced to play up a level in singles, the brightest spot was junior Luka Starmer’s 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-8 comeback win over Sean Gravelle at third singles to account for the hosts’ only point and improve his singles record to 2-2 on the season.
The Purple Tigers coach noted that senior Doug Robbins played a much better second set in a 6-0, 6-4 first-singles loss to Ken Smith, and that senior Ben Girtain-Plowe was “very competitive” in a 7-6 (10-8), 5-7, 10-3 loss to Ben Ariola at second singles, as was eighth-grader Jacob Klinger in his first varsity start, a 6-4, 6-4 loss to Josh Moore at fourth singles.
On the doubles side, Walrath noted that junior Chad Abbey was able to pick up some experience in his first varsity start, at third doubles.
Mexico is now 2-0 league and overall.
ES-Minoa 6, Homer 1: Trojan sophomore Andy Saraceno and eighth-grader Jeff Eves pulled out the only team point. The young duo posted a hard-fought 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 win over Andrew Lindstrand and Peter Gill at second doubles.
A number of the matches were very close, including a tough three-set loss by Dan DiGiovanna at fourth singles. After DiGiovanna and Dino Orreravic split the first two sets, Orreravic claimed the decisive third set 7-6 with a 10-6 tiebreaker.
“It was a tough loss tonight,” said Homer coach Nancy Cavellier, her team now 0-2. “I really thought the match could have gone 4-3, although too many unforced errors got the best of the team.”
Coach Cavellier also praised the effort of the Mastroe twins, Reilley and Keegan.