April 26, 2012
Four more Adkins wins enable Homer to sweep
For the second consecutive track and field meet, Jekeytha Adkins won four individual events to help Homer Central girls post a pair of OHSL Liberty Division victories Wednesday.
At the Butts Field facility in Homer, junior Adkins captured firsts in the the 100-meter hurdles, the 400-meter hurdles, the long jump and the triple jump as the Trojans were 116-20 winners over Syracuse CBA and 86-55 victors over a combined Westhill-Bishop Ludden squad. Weshill-Ludden girls defeated CBA 84-49.
Homer boys were on the losing end to Syracuse CBA 89-52 and Westhill-Ludden 88-53. CBA boys downed Westhill-Ludden 76-65.
In the girls’ meet, Lia Kabat was another double winner for the 4-0 Trojans. Kabat won the 100m and 200m dashes, with her 13.7 time in the 100m a personal best and sectional qualifier. Kabat also placed second in the high jump.
Jade Auchmoody was the other individual winner for Homer as she won the pole vault. She also placed second in the 1,500m with a personal best of 5:14.1 and third in the 800m.
Homer also won two of the three relay events. Auchmoody anchored the winning 3,200m relay quartet that included Abbey Gray, Grace Gugerty and Erin Leach. Kabat was the anchor leg for the victorious 400m relay team with Emily Harrington, Hannah McEvoy and Lucy Connery.
Other top three finishes included:
l McEvoy who was second in the long jump and the 100m dash, third in the 200. She had season best performances in the 100 (13.7), 200 (29.8) and long jump (14-0.5). Her time in the 100 qualifies her for sectionals;
- Gray placed second in the 3,000 and third in the 1,500. She ran a season best time of 5:22.3 in the 1,500;
- Sabina Clark placed second in the triple jump, third in the 100 hurdles and fourth in the 400. She ran a personal best in the 100 hurdles (18.2);
- Hannah Agate placed third in the shot put and the discus;
- Leach placed second in the 400 hurdles and third in the triple jump. Her triple jump was a personal best of 29-feet even;
- Harrington placed second in the 200 and third in the 100. Her time in the 100 (13.7) was a season best and qualifies her for sectionals;
- Erica Stevens placed third in the 400;
- the 1,600m relay team of Leach, Clark, Gugerty and Stevens placed second.
FOR HOMER BOYS, Tim Walsh ran a personal best of 2:05.1 while winning the 800m run. Walsh was the only individual winner for the Trojans. He anchored the winning 1,600m relay team with Brandon Chaffee, Austin Smith and John Osterhoudt. Walsh placed third in the 1,600m run.
Smith placed second in the high jump (5-8) and he tied for third (9-0) in the pole vault. Smith’s high jump and 400m time (4th, 56.7) were personal bests that qualified him for sectionals.
Chaffee placed third in the 100 (11.6) and the 200 (24.1) with personal best times in both events.
Drake placed second in the long jump (17-9.75). His long jump was a personal best by a foot.
Mike Lavere placed second in the discus with a personal best toss of 97-10.
Homer will travel to the Dan Fravil Relays at Ithaca High School Friday.
CORTLAND HIGH was part of an OHSL Freedom Division meet at Phoenix on Wednesday, no details made available.
To read this article and more, pick up today's Cortland Standard
Click here to subscribe