May 21, 2011


Trojans pass opening lax test

Staff Writer

With all the intensity usually displayed during a Friday night Section 3 B West football game between these two schools, Homer Central lacrosse boys hosted Marcellus in a Section 3 Class C first-round playoff game on George Butts Field.
Homer’s Hunter Osborne responded to the occasion by scoring three goals, the senior midfielder also assiting four times, as the fifth-seeded Trojans posted a 10-6 victory over the 12th-seeded Mustangs.
Homer (14-3 overall) will travel to fourth-seed LaFayette in Tuesday’s quarterfinals for a 5 p.m. contest. The Lancers (13-3) were 12-5 winners over 13-seed Clinton.
Other Class C first-round results had second-seed Skaneateles rout 15th-seed Lowville 19-1, seventh-seed Westhill stop 10th-seed South Jefferson 14-8, sixth-seed Syracuse CBA dump 11th-seed Watertown IHC 18-10 and eighth-seed Tully defeat ninth-seed General Brown 12-9.
Third-seed Cortland High will host 14-seed Onondaga tonight at six o’clock at the SUNY Cortland Stadium Complex. Top-seed Cazenovia had a first round bye.
“It feels great to get that first win,” Osborne said. “It just goes to show that you can’t disrespect any team. You can’t underestimate a lower seeded team. They came out and gave us a good game. It was a physical game, but it was fun. We played hard and came out with a win.
“You have to give a lot of credit to our defense,” he added. “They have been stepping up all season. As long as they keep us in the game, our offense will get clicking and pull out the win.”
“We are pleased to get a ‘W,’” Homer coach Tom Cottrell said. “Both teams played really hard. and aggressively. We did some good things. We built a little bit of a lead and they battled back. We did what we needed to do at the end to secure the victory.”
Penalties plagued the Trojans, helped keep things close.
“We deserved a lot of the penalties we got,” said Coach Cottrell. “We were aggressive, but we know that we need to stay out of the penalty box. Our man-down unit did a great job of bailing us out a number of opportunities. We were able to get away tonight in a game where we did take way too many penalties.”
HOMER GOT ON scoreboard first when Beau Riley (2 goals) found the back of the cage was close range after a nice pass from Conner Johnston for the 1-0 lead five minutes into the contest. Three minutes later, Connor Ferrito (2g-1a) made it 2-0 on a fast-break man-down goal after a good feed from Osborne.
Marcellus (6-10) responded with a a pair of quick goals within one minute of each other to tie the game at 2-2. Kevin Hutchings fed Tyler Tomeny for the first tally with 2;40 left in the first period, Hutchings scored an unassisted goal 44 seconds later to knot the score at 2-2.
Ferrito gave the Trojans a 3-2 lead with 31 seconds left in the opening period. The senior fired his 44th goal of the season into the upper left corner of the goal off a great pass from Osborne.
Homer would take a 5-2 lead into the halftime break on Osborne’s first two goals of the game. The unassisted tally came with 8:16 left until the break. The second with 26 seconds left in the half off a pass from Aaron Zimmerman.
The turning point in the game made have come early in the third period the Trojans went two-men down at the 9:46 mark. A total of three minutes in penalties were assessed, but two were on the same person so it resulted in the two-man deficit. After 45 seconds, Marcellus picked up a penalty to kill the two-man advantage.
Homer got the release from one penalty and Osborne quickly scored in just eight seconds after the teams were at even strength for a 6-2 advantage with 8:38 left in the period. That released the Marcellus player as Homer went back to a one man down situation. Zimmerman scored a man-down goal 16 seconds later for a 7-2 Homer lead with Osborne on the assist.
The Mustangs would not lay down and a three-goal unanswered run got the visitors right back in the game. Tom McNaney scored a man-up goal with 47 seconds left in the third period off a pass from R.J. Linder.
THE MUSTANGS’ Luke McNaney opened the fourth quarter with a man-up goal 48 seconds into the period. Two minutes later, Tomeny collected his second goal of the match

To read this article and more, pick up today's Cortland Standard
Click here to subscribe