July 9, 2007


Post 489 stopped in semis


Bill Sinsabaugh/contributing photographer
Cortland Post 489 left fielder Codi Clayton (left) catches fly ball as teammate Brett Wright dives to avoid a collision during Sunday’s World Classic semifinal game against Gibbsboro Post 371.  Cortland lost 19-1 over five innings.

BINGHAMTON — Cortland Post 489 saw its Cinderella run in the STOP-DWI World Youth Classic come to an end Sunday with a 19-1 to eventual champion Gibbsboro, N.J. in a five-inning semifinal contest Sunday afternoon.
Gibbsboro posted an 8-4 win over Camden County rival Brooklawn in the championship game at Conlon Field. It was the first World Youth Classic title for Gibbsboro in three attempts.
Gibbsboro led 4-0 after the first inning and 6-0 through three before Brooklawn plated three runs, thanks to a three-run blast by Steven Rizzo.
Justin Washington was 3-for-3 with three runs scored while Kristopher Herman was also 3-for-3 for the winners. Nolan Mansfield added a 2-for-4 effort with two RBIs and earned tournament MVP honors. Michael Rogers hit a home run during the four-run first inning.
Bryan Miller hit a solo home run to start the seventh inning for Brooklawn. With two outs and runners at first and second, the game ended with Gibbsboro catcher Michael Forgash throwing out the lead runner between second and third while the batter was arguing a ball-strike call.
The fact that Cortland made the semifinals was amazing in itself as Post 489 rallied from 5-0 deficit against Hamilton with seven runs in the top of the seventh inning on Saturday in the quarterfinal round.
With Andrew Foster on base, John Sinsabaugh was at the plate with two outs and a two-strike count against him before his single sparked the beginning of the rally. Codi Clayton drew a walk to load the bases and Anthony Pitts followed with a single of his own to plate the first Post 489 run.
Dustan DiOrio hit a grounder to third that could have ended the game but the ball was bobbled, enabling Sinsabaugh to score as the rally continued. Back-to-back bases-loaded walks to Tim Fulton and Stephen Wright forced in the third and fourth runs.
Sean Finucane followed with a dribbler down the third-base line that was fielded, but no play could be made as the tying run scored. Foster came back to the plate and belted a two-run single that scored the go-ahead runs.
Ironically, Cortland managed just one hit and had just three base runners aboard against Hamilton pitcher Neil Harm before the rally began.
Pitcher Jason Hogan retired Hamilton 1-2-3 in the bottom of the seventh to send Cortland into the semifinals.
GIBBSBORO ended things quickly for Cortland Sunday by scoring 12 runs in the second inning and coasting into the fifth, where the game ended on the 10-run mercy rule.
BROOKLAWN also reached the final with an 11-1 over Newburgh in the other five-inning, mercy-rule semifinal contest.



Lone Homer win at Wood Bat tourney

CORNING — Homer Post 465 ran into some tough luck while competing in the Al Registro Wood Bat Baseball Tournament this weekend in Corning.
While being very competitive in the compressed two-day tourney after rain washed away Thursday night action, Post 465 dropped three of four games. On Saturday, Homer battled Corning to a 6-6 tie after seven innings as the game was called after the two hour-15 minute time limit. Post 465 then dropped a 6-5 six-inning time-limit contest to Big Flats to complete the doubleheaders.
On Sunday, Horseheads swept Homer 8-7 and 6-0 in a pair of five-inning contests.
“I was very pleased with our overall performance,” said Homer coach Dennis Bruce. “The kids made a couple of real nice comebacks against some good baseball teams and we had Horseheads on the ropes in the first game Sunday. We just gave up too many walks (28) in the four games and you cannot do that against good teams. But, even with all those walks, with a couple of breaks, we could have been 3-1.
“We are very young and only lose two players because of age next year,” Bruce added. “If these young kids keep working hard and improving, good things are going to happen for them. The program is headed in the right direction because they are a very dedicated bunch.”
Homer 6, Corning 6: Corning jumped to a 6-0 lead after three innings, only to have Post 465 rally and score the next six runs, including three in the bottom of the seventh to knot the score at six-all.
Big Flats 8, Homer 7: Post 465 fell behind 3-1 through two innings, but used a three-run rally in the bottom of the fifth inning to take a 4-3 advantage.
Big Flats answered with three runs in the top of the sixth to retake a 6-4 lead.
Homer plated one run in the bottom of the inning and had the tying and winning runs on base, but could not score again.
Horseheads 8, Homer 7: Needing to win twice, Homer started quickly Sunday with a five-run first inning outburst. Post 465 added another run in the top of the second for a 6-0 cushion before Horseheads came to life. With three runs in the second and five more in the third, the home team bolted to an 8-6 advantage.
Post 465 scored one run in the top of the fourth to pull to within one run, but could not get any closer.
Horseheads 6, Homer 0: With the second game meaning nothing, Homer felled behind 2-0 after one inning and Horseheads posted the shutout in a five-inning contest.




Red Dragon runners shine at Boilermaker

UTICA — A handful of SUNY Cortland runners, including Homer Central graduate Josh Henry, were among the frontrunners in the 30th annual Utica Boilermaker held Sunday.
Nicholas Kamakya of Kenya won the 15-Kilometer road race in 43:51, four ticks ahead of fellow Kenyan Peter Kamais. There were 10,822 finishers overall.
Standouts from the Red Dragons including C. Fred Joslyn (Chenango Forks) finishing 21st in 47:43, Andrew Cloke (Elmira Notre Dame) taking 22nd in 47:48 and Seamus Nally (Burnt Hills) running 23rd in 48:01.
Henry, who just finished his sophomore season running cross country and track at Cortland after a successful scholastic career at Homer, was 38th overall in 50:13. That was one spot ahead of Red Dragon Jerry Greenlaw (Warwick), who finished in 50:19.
Romania’s Lidia Simon was the women’s winner, clocked in 49:23. Alica Timbilili of Kenya placed second.
The race was marred by tragedy, as 24-year-old Sean O’Neill collapsed during the race and died. The 2001 graduate of Whitesboro High School lived in Brooklyn. Boilermaker race officials had no comment Sunday. An autopsy was scheduled for today