August 13, 2016
Fall schedules as IAC, CCL teams begin
The high school sports season is fast approaching with all area Interscholastic Athletic Conference and Central Counties League varsity squads getting started Monday.
– Varsity and JV football take to the field with Ralph Boettger returning at the varsity helm for practice from 3:30 until 8 p.m.
– The boys’ varsity soccer team will practice from 3:30-6 p.m. with Laszlo Engel at the helm.
– New varsity girls’ soccer head coach Kaitlyn Cook will hold her first practice from 7-8:30 a.m. and from 4-6 p.m.
– Girls’ varsity volleyball will practice under the guidance of Al Sautter from 8-11 a.m. on opening day.
– Varsity cross country with head coach Ashley Miller will begin practice at the high school from 3:30 until 5 p.m.
– Girls’ varsity swimming and diving will begin its practice under head coach Jason Webb from 8 a.m. until 12 noon.
– Varsity football under second-year head coach Tom Goddard will take place at the high school from 12-2:30 p.m. and 3:30-6 p.m.
– Varsity girls’ soccer will practice from 6:30-9:30 a.m. and 6-8 p.m. with head coach Dick Brecht.
– Girls’ varsity volleyball will practice at the high school gym from 8-10 a.m. under the guidance of head coach Melissa Sorenson.
– Varsity cross country head coach Scott Weeks will put is runners through their paces from 8-9:30 a.m. starting at the high school.
– Varsity boys’ soccer did not respond to calls for information.
– Varsity field hockey will run from 8:30-11 a.m. at Appleby Elementary School under the guidance of Karen Funk, who enters her 43rd year as coach.
– Boys’ varsity soccer will practice from 9-11 a.m. as Chip Stewart returns for his 29th season.
– Varsity girls’ soccer and head coach Trish Hayes will hold their first practice starting at 8 a.m.
– Varsity cross country with head coach Todd James will begin practice at 6 p.m.
— The boys’ varsity soccer team’s first practice will be from 8 to 10 a.m. on Firemen’s Field, with coach Gordy Brown asking that players report at 7:30 a.m. The team will also practice from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the same location.
— The girls’ varsity soccer team, under new coach Mike Radziwon, will practice from 7:30 to 9 a.m. and 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Firemen’s Field.
— The first practices for the boys’ varsity soccer team, under new coach Jamie Crumb, will be from 8 to 10 a.m. and from 5 to 7 p.m. at Bennett Street Field.
— Julie Hewes’ girls’ varsity soccer team will practice from 8 to 10 a.m. and from 3 to 5 p.m., also at Bennett Street Field.
In addition, a pre-season meeting which is mandatory for all McGraw athletes in all seasons during the school year will take place this Thursday (Aug. 18) in the high school auditorium starting at 7 p.m. A makeup meeting will take place Sept. 15, also in the auditorium at 7 p.m. Students may not participate in sports without attending one of the meetings.
— Former boys’ coach Eric Nash now coaches the girls’ varsity soccer team, which will practice from 8 to 11 a.m. on the school field.
— New coach Chad Newton will conduct the boys’ varsity soccer team’s first practice from 5 to 7 p.m. on the school field.
— Serap Hill’s boys’ and girls’ cross country teams will get underway starting at 6 p.m. at the high school.
To read this article and more, pick up today's Cortland Standard
Click here to subscribe