September 3, 2010


Olympians, Lions battle to early-season standoff

SoccerJoe McIntyre/staff photographer
Marathon’s Justin Zelsnack (17), left, is shadowed by Dryden’s John Whitmore (23), center, in the first half as Marathon’s Teddy Morrison (2) looks on in the first half of Thursday’s IAC soccer clash. The teams played to a 2-2 tie in Marathon.

MARATHON — It proved to be another great chapter in the rivalry that is boys’ soccer between Marathon Central and Dryden High on Thursday.
Marathon’s Tyler Marsh scored the tying goal with 22:18 remaining in regulation time as the Olympians and visiting Purple Lions battled to a 2-2 Interscholastic Athletic Conference NorthEast Division overtime draw.
In other IAC NorthEast contests, Southern Cayuga shut out Whitney Point 2-0, Lansing downed Union Springs 7-2 and Trumansbrug topped Moravia 9-1.
In the lone SouthWest Division match, Watkins Glen stopped Spencer-Van Etten 4-2.
In IAC volleyball, Dryden defeated Groton 25-16, 26-28, 25-13, 25-14; Candor swept Newfield 25-23, 25-23, 25-20; Lansing swept Moravia 25-13, 25-9, 28-26; Southern Cayuga swept Whitney Point 25-12, 25-7, 25-12 and Newark Valley beat Watkins Glen 25-18, 25-16, 21-25, 25-13.
Marathon 2, Dryden 2, OT: “This was a very intense game,” Dryden coach Laszlo Engel said. “We did play better and better as the game went along. We are learning rapidly and hope to continue to do so throughout the season.”
“The kids played hard,” said Marathon coach Chip Stewart. “It really was a clean, hard-fought game on both sides. We were certainly more aggressive in the second half and played better.
“Their goalkeeper came up big several times,” Stewart continued, Dryden keeper Joel Whitmore with a half-dozen saves. “It stopped some very good scoring chances that we were unable to finish.”
Sean Nostrand gave Dryden (1-0-1) a 1-0 lead in the first half, converting a nice feed from Shane DeGaetano.
Erik McGowan scored the equalizer for Marathon (1-0-1) with 17:16 left in the half and things appeared to be headed to a draw at halftime. Nostrand prevented that as he scored with just 40 seconds left until the break. DeGaetano assisted again.
Marsh netted his goal with a nice curling shot from 19-20 yards out on a restart.
“Smirk (Marsh) bent the ball around a six-man wall and tuck the shot just inside the near post,” Stewart said in describing the tying shot.
Marathon had a slight edge in both shots (11-6) and corner kicks (5-3), goalie Evan Holl with four saves for the Olympians.
Marathon will return to IAC action Tuesday with a 7 p.m. match at Lansing. Dryden will host Southern Cayuga Wednesday in a 4:30 match.
Dryden 3, Groton 1: Brayden Van Winkle led Dryden (2-0) with 20 assists, 10 digs, 10 service points and three service aces. Brook Thompson added 19 service points, seven aces and six kills while Taylor Hoyt recorded 11 kills, four blocks and two service points.
Groton (0-2) was paced by Beth Steves with five assists and five aces. Kaitlyn Henry added two assists and two aces with Hayley Perreault adding three kills.
Groton JVs were 25-12, 25-9, 25-21 winners over Dryden.


To read this article and more, pick up today's Cortland Standard