September 11, 2006


More frustration for Orange


Associated Press/Kevin Rivoli
Syracuse’s Joe Fields saves a touchdown by making a diving tackle on Iowa's Herb Grigsby during the fourth quarter in Syracuse Saturday. Iowa won 20-13 in double overtime.

SYRACUSE (AP) — So close.
Syracuse came within a whisker Saturday night of winning for the first time in a year — and against a ranked team, no less. In the end, though, Iowa’s defense thwarted the Orange with the stiffest of goal-line stands.
After Albert Young scored on a 1-yard run in the second overtime to give the No. 14 Hawkeyes a 20-13 lead, the Iowa defense kept Syracuse out of the end zone on seven consecutive plays inside the 2 and escaped with a victory.
“We’re tired, but we’re 2-0,” Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. “Both teams played well enough to win. I never remembered a game in which we stopped a team seven times at the goal. You can’t write a script like that.”
When Iowa needs a spark, it usually turns to star quarterback Drew Tate, but on Saturday he watched from the sidelines, a late scratch because of an abdominal muscle strain that’s been hampering him for a couple of weeks.
Senior Jason Manson was given his first career start, getting the word just hours before the opening kickoff, and he did just enough. Manson threw his first career touchdown pass and kept his cool in the tense overtime, and that was enough to overcome four interceptions.
The teams exchanged field goals in the first overtime. Young scored the clincher for Iowa two plays after Syracuse cornerback Tanard Jackson was called for interference on Calvin Davis at the 5.
On the game’s final possession, a pass interference call against the Hawkeyes gave the Orange a first down at the 2, and the teams seemed headed for a third overtime. Then the Iowa defense took over.
Fullback Tony Fiammetta gained nothing on two tries up the middle, another pass interference call gave Syracuse another first down and four more shots at the goal line, and Fiammetta gained 1 yard on two more tries. Then, 6-foot-4, 231-pound quarterback Perry Patterson gained nothing on an option keeper left, and tailback Paul Chiara ran into defensive end Kenny Iwebema and a bunch of his close friends on a fourth-down run up the middle to end it.
“It might have been one of the greatest feelings ever, just knowing we gave them all the opportunities in the world to score,” Iowa defensive tackle Mitch King said. “But we never gave up. It might have been one of the most exciting series I’ve ever been in.”
The loss for Syracuse (0-2) was its 11th in a row, a school record. The last victory was exactly a year ago, over lowly Buffalo. For the second straight game, Patterson engineered an early touchdown with a near-flawless drive, then couldn’t duplicate it the rest of the game.
BUCKEYES NO. 1: There’s little doubt about Ohio State after a convincing victory in the 1 v.s 2 showdown with Texas.
The Buckeyes were No. 1 in The Associated Press Top 25 released Sunday, tightening their hold on the top spot the day after beating the defending champion Longhorns 24-7.
Ohio State received 59 of a possible 65 first-place votes, up from 39 last week, and 1,614 points in the media poll. Notre Dame is back at No. 2 off its 41-17 victory over Penn State. The Fighting Irish slipped two spots last week when Texas moved up to No. 2.



Cortland spoils Mustangs’ party

MORRISVILLE — A highly touted SUNY Cortland football team made sure this momentous occasion was not extra special for their Saturday hosts.
The Red Dragons scored on six of their first seven possessions, reeled off 45 unanswered points and spoiled SUNY Morrisville’s first home game as a Division III member in resounding 52-14 fashion.
In a turnover free season-opening outing, senior tailback Matt Rickert rushed for 117 yards and touchdowns, junior quarterback Alex Smith completed 12-of-16 throws for 277 yards and the Red Dragons rolled up 425 yards off offense.
Morrisville (0-2) did score a pair of third quarter touchdowns, though head coach Dan MacNeill had gone to his bench by then with the outcome well in hand.
It was a nice tune-up for the Red Dragons, who will host Brockport this coming Saturday in a 1 p.m. start at the SUNY Cortland Stadium Complex.
Only a drive just before halftime, when Cortland escaped a 1st-and-25 situation to reach the Morrisville 31-yard line before Smith overthrew Anthony Morat with third and fourth down passes, failed to produce points as the visitors dominated the opening 30 minutes of play.



Purple Tigers nipped in overtime

DeWITT — Though this proved to be an exhilarating roller coaster of a soccer ride for Cortland High boys on Saturday, the Purple Tigers are still searching for their first victory of the season.
After seeing an early two-goal lead squandered, after battling back late in regulation from a two-goal deficit, the Purple Tigers ended up losing 5-4 in sudden death overtime at Syracuse CBA in an OHSL Freedom Division game.
Matt Oot pounced on a rebound after CHS keeper Ryan Wiehl turned away a shot blasted by Wawuena Agbossoumonde to score the game-winner 5:49 into the first of what could have been two 10-minute extra sessions.
“I think we learned a lot. Though we ended up losing, we played much better than we did Tuesday,” said CHS Dan Law, referring to a season-opening 2-1 home field loss to East Syracuse-Minoa. “We showed a lot of character, perseverance, resilience, all the things a coach likes to see in_his team.”
Cortland stands 0-2 in the Freedom Division, with a 6 p.m. Tuesday hosting of Jamesville-DeWitt next on the agenda.