September 23, 2009
Cincy golf course rebuilding after Aug. fire
Construction under way on Knickerbocker Country Club’s clubhouse destroyed by Aug. 23 fire that started in golf cart
CINCINNATUS — Construction workers are rebuilding the clubhouse that was destroyed in a fire Aug. 23 at Knickerbocker Country Club on Telelphone Road.
ACE General Contracting, which is based in Willet is leading the construction project. Demolition of the structure was completed by Cortland-based Contento’s on the day after the fire and the rebuilding of the main clubhouse began Aug. 29, said Asa Eaton, owner of ACE General Contracting.
“Right now we’re concentrating on the main structure,” said Todd Knickerbocker, clubhouse manager.
Construction workers have put a new roof on the clubhouse, and they will soon put new ceilings, carpeting and wiring inside the building, Knickerbocker said.
He said he expects the construction to be completed by November. The country club will stay open until early November, depending on the weather.
If the construction is not completed before the golf course closes for the winter, it will be complete when the golf course opens in early April, Knickerbocker said.
Since the fire, the country club has used a small pavilion near the main building as a makeshift clubhouse, serving food and drinks there.
Knickerbocker said he hopes to begin operating inside the main building in a week or two, even though construction will not be finished.
The fire started in the engine of a service cart parked in a shed in the rear of the main clubhouse, It damaged the rear of the main clubhouse and a shed that housed the club’s fleet of golf carts.
The club has no immediate plans to build a new shed to store golf carts. The carts will be stored outside, said Knickerbocker.
He said country club managers are still assessing the total damage and the cost estimates of the construction.
Knickerbocker said he and other employees tried to put out the fire using fire extinguishers and a hose after a golfer told them the cart was on fire. But gasoline from the golf cart made the fire difficult to extinguish, he said.
To read this article and more, pick up today's Cortland Standard
Click here to subscribe