October 06, 2007


Groton gridders remain unbeaten


Joe McIntyre/staff photographer
Groton’s Kyle Reed (33) breaks a tackle by Newfield’s Dillon Shults (86) on a second quarter end run Friday night at Cornell’s Schoellkopf Field. Groton remained undefeated after 25-13 victory.

ITHACA — On a grander stage Friday evening — getting the chance to strut their stuff under the bright lights of Cornell University’s Schoellkopf Field — Groton Central’s gridiron perfection continues.
Peter Jackson completed four-of-five passing attempts for 115 yards and two touchdowns while Logan Randall dashed for 255 yards and one touchdown on 30 carries the Indians remained undefeated with a 25-12 win over Newfield in Section 4 Division VII action.
The Indians are now 5-0 in the division, 6-0 overall and hold a one-game lead in the loss column over Candor, a 21-14 winner over Odessa-Montour, and Moravia, who plays at Elmira Heights Edison this afternoon.
Moravia will visit Groton this coming Friday, a 7 p.m. start at Ross Field.
The Groton-Newfield game was moved from Saturday in the original schedule so Groton head coach Jeff Lewis could travel to Erie, Pa. for his daughter’s wedding.
Groton built an 18-0 lead in the first half, beginning with a 22-yard touchdown pass from Jackson to Mack Lewis for a 6-0 first-quarter advantage.
The Indians added 12 more points in the second quarter. Jakcson hit Cody Street (3 catches-93 yards) with a 56-yard bomb for the firsts core of the quarter. Randall followed with a huge 67-yard touchdown run. Both conversions failed.
Newfield (1-4, 2-4) got on the board when Josh Wager dashed nine yards in the third quarter to cut the deficit to 18-6.
Jackson and Street hooked-up again for a 14-yard scoring pass in the fourth quarter for the 25-6 cushion, but the Trojans closed out the scoring on a 25-yard pass from Mike Armstrong (12-for-22, 185 yards) to Zach Stamp.
Marcus Kastenhuber led the Newfield rushing attack with 60 yards on 13 carries.
DRYDEN HIGH looks for a third consecutive victory this afternoon, traveling to Owego Free Academy for a 1:30 p.m. kickoff. The Purple Lions have captured back-to-back Division IV games after an 0-3 start to the season.




Homer, CHS both in playoff picture

Goal-line stand lifts Trojans to victory

Staff Writer

SKANEATELES — The outcome was in doubt until the final 13 seconds. That was when Homer Central seniors Mike Carboine and Jake Smith stopped Skaneateles tailback Matt Wood at the Trojan three-yard line on fourth-and-two.
That key stop of the Lakers senior who rushed for 298 yards on 33 carries secured a 32-25 Homer football victory at Hyatt Stadium and put the Trojans in the driver’s seat for a fourth trip to the Section 3 Class B playoffs.
Homer and Skaneateles are each 3-3 in the Class B West standings and overall, but the Trojans have the important tiebreaker (head-to-head) entering the final week of the regular season. The Trojans head to LaFayette/Fabius-Pompey next Saturday while the Lakers travel to first place Westhill Friday.
Despite the intense, physical contest, there was nothing but a smile on the face of senior captain Kyle Sandy when the final whistle blew.
“This was definitely a big win,” said Sandy. “All of us seniors rallied together after the 0-3 start and began pushing this team. All the pushing finally paid off.
“The defense really stepped up at every position when it mattered the most,” he continued. “We really wanted this game and we were able to stop them on that fourth down play.”
It was a game that Homer did not play its best, but it was also a game that they team never quit.
“In a nutshell, tonight’s game is our team,” said Homer coach Gary Podsiedlik. “We are good program. We have excellent people who our working together to try and get the people in the right positions. When we all work together and pull together, we find a way to win.
“We beat a team tonight that was athletically superior to us in nearly every position,” Podsiedlik continued. “Our boys stayed together. They listened to us when things were getting rough. We made some adjustments and the guys made a great goal-line stand. We have to play together to win games and we did that tonight.”


Knocking off Rams earns rest for Tigers

Staff Writer

DeWITT — The Cortland High football team earned itself a free weekend, and considering what lies ahead for the Purple Tigers, it couldn’t have come at a better time.
Coach Dave Darrow’s squad beat host Jamesville-DeWitt 28-20 Friday night to improve to 2-3 in the Section 3 Class A American Division and 2-4 overall. CHS is currently tied for fourth place, and the final sectional playoff spot, in the league with Fowler and Chittenango.
Fowler comes to town at 7 p.m. this Friday, and a CHS victory would mean a post-season berth unless Chittenango pulls off an upset at third-place Mexico (3-2 league). Fowler can clinch a sectional spot with a win, having already beaten the Bears, who in turn downed Cortland 15-8 to open the season.
“This is what we needed,” Darrow said, fully aware of all the possibilities concerning post-season play. “This will mean a good week of practice, starting Monday, and we’ll be ready for Fowler. We’re giving the kids the weekend off for the first time this season.”
“It was a typical Cortland-Jamesville-Dewitt game,” said Red Rams coach Dennis Schahczenski, whose team fell to 0-5 in league play and is 1-5 overall. “Cortland did a great job playing in their base defense. They had a game plan coming in, and stuck with it. They did a nice job, and we made too many mistakes.”
The Purple Tigers weren’t perfect in that regard, losing two interceptions and a fumble and also being penalized 14 times for 115 yards. But as Darrow noted, his team having lost three straight coming in, “There were some things could have done differently, but we hoped they’d make mistakes. We had to get that win. Once you start losing it gets in your throat and you find a way to lose. They found a way to lose.”
Cortland led 14-6 at the half and had held J-D junior quarterback Joe Daddario, the league’s top-yardage passer, to one completion, that a short giveaway on the final play of the half. Junior halfback Lonza Williams, however, had lugged the ball 10 times for 139 yards in the first two quarters.
“We had linebacker moving with the strong safety and not sliding down much, so we didn’t have enough men in the box,” Darrow said. “We adjusted at halftime and did a better job with the run (Williams with three carries for 39 yards, all of them on his last carry), but it opened up the pass for them.”
“We adjusted our pass-blocking, because they were coming with the blitz on our triple- or double-receiver side,” Red Rams offensive coordinator Bill Brown said. “Once we picked that up, we were able to throw well. In a spread offense like ours, if you run but can’t pass, you shorten the game. We wasted too many possessions with procedure penalties.”
J-E was whistled for five procedure penaltie sin all, three on the first possession of the second half.