October 8, 2010


Sweet Marathon revenge

Field HockeyBob Ellis/staff photographer
Shelby Underwood (8) of Marathon loses her stick after colliding with Moravia goalie Tate Stoyell and Danielle Stayton in Thursday’s field hockey battle. Host Marathon avenged an earlier loss to the Blue Devils, rolling to a 5-1 victory.

MARATHON — There was no repeat of the double overtime field hockey loss to Moravia back in mid-September when Marathon Central hosted the Blue Devils in a Thursday afternoon rematch.
Amanda Horton scored four goals as the Olympians rolled a 5-1 Section 4 Division IV victory behind Appleby Elementary School. The winners improve to 4-1 in the division and 8-2 overall, while Moravia falls to 4-4 overall.
“I think a big difference was the great shape our field was in,” Marathon coach Karen Funk said. “We really stayed outside the 25s and stayed away from the area in front of the goals during practice because of all the rain we’ve had. Our groundspeople did a great job of getting the field ready.”
Of course that wasn’t the only factor and Marathon allowed Moravia one trip downfield in the opening moments of the match and gave the visitors a penalty corner. That was the only time Moravia got inside the 25-yard line the entire first half and no shots were given up.
“Our backs and midfielders moved the ball around very well,” Funk said. “We kept Moravia on the run throughout the game. We played to win and that’s what we did.”
Marathon got its first goal 10 minutes into game. A Moravia defender stopped the ball with her foot in the circle and a penalty stroke was awarded to Marathon. Tatum Knapp drove the ball into the goal for a 1-0 advantage.
Horton scored her first goal six and one-half minutes later. Knapp got the ball to Shelby Underwood near the post. She passed the ball towards the other post and Horton came to the ball and redirected it into the open cage.
Three minutes later, Horton scored again off a pass from Kassidy Stone and the Olympians had a 3-0 cushion. With 6;20 remaining in the half, Horton scored a unassisted goal for the 4-0 halftime advantage.
Moravia scored the first goal of the second half. Hannah Mackey shook free of her defender and stuck the ball in the back of the cage to trim the deficit to 4-1 with 9:28 left in the match.
Horton finished off her big day with 6:15 remaining. Underwood delivered the ball to Horton for the finish.
Kaitlyn Harrison made six saves for Moravia. Sam McMahon stopped two for the Blue Devils three shots before yielding to Ashley McCracken for the final five minutes. McCracken did not face a shot.
Marathon will return to Section 4 Division IV action Tuesday. The Olympians will travel to Spencer-Van Etten for the 4:15 p.m. contest.


To read this article and more, pick up today's Cortland Standard