October 18, 2007


Lions shoot down Olympians

Beno’s PK finally settles standoff in IAC semifinal


Bob Ellis/staff photographer
Dryden High’s Carl Beno (3) celebrates with goalie Thomas Weaver seconds after scoring the game-winning goal in a penalty kick schootout to beat Marathon in Wednesday’s IAC playoff semifinal in Candor.

Staff Writer

CANDOR — Bingo, Bango, Beno?
That could be the new catch phrase for people from Dryden who also enjoy golf, because Carl Beno made the biggest shot of the night to advance the Purple Lion boys to the Interscholastic Athletic Conference soccer championship game.
The Dryden High junior delivered a hard shot, waist-high to the right of Marathon goalkeeper Derek Root, as the Purple Lions topped the Olympians in a sudden-death shootout by a 7-6 margin.
Dryden (14-1-2 overall) will face Spencer-Van Etten (15-1-1) in the 7 p.m. title match at Tompkins Cortland Community College in Dryden Saturday.
Marathon (12-3-2) will have one week to rest before Section 4 Class C Tournament play begins with the fourth-seeded Olympians hosting 13-seed Union Springs (3-12-1) at 3:30 p.m. this coming Wednesday.
S-VE edged Lansing 1-0 on a goal by Carl Wietholt with 22:40 left in the second half in the other IAC playoff semifinal game played at Dryden High yesterday.
It was the first goal scored all season by Beno, who does have two assists in 2007.
“I was standing on the line and changed my mind about four times,” said Beno describing his preparation for the winning shot. “I was going to go right, I was going to go left, I don’t remember where I shot it.
“I was pretty confident when we moved into the shootout, because T.J. (Weaver) is the PK master in goal,” Beno added. “The entire 30 minutes of overtime was the longest 30 minutes of my life. The big thing is we move on to the finals and I hope that we get a big turnout for the game Saturday, because it really is a home game for us.”
The two teams played a marathon 110 minutes (two 40-minute halves, two 10-minute sudden death overtimes and two five-minute sudden death overtimes) without either team scoring once. The two teams were even 4-4 after the first five PK shooters.
“It was a total team effort,” said Dryden coach Laszlo Engel. “That’s what it takes at this level. The guys on the bench were cheering on the guys on the field all night long.”
“We did lose our focus a couple of times,” Engel added. “We were able to regain our composure. Both teams were focused in the shootout. We have won games and we have lost games in shootouts before. It is too bad games have to end like this.”
DRYDEN WAS THE dominant team in the first half. The Purple Lions took 11 shots and held Marathon to zero attempts through 40 minutes. Dryden had six good chances in the first half, but Root responded well and made the saves.
With 27:30 left in the half, Dylan Luce rocketed a shot that led to a great diving save by Root, who deflected the ball out of bounds. The Purple Lions tried a couple of longer free kicks later in the half, but Root grabbed those as well. The final 10 minutes of the half saw no scoring threats from either team.
The second half saw even play for the first 12 minutes, but Marathon really picked up the pace in the final 28 minutes of regulation time. Olympian sophomore John Robinson used his speed to created three great scoring opportunities in a four-minute span. The first two brought Weaver out of the goal and the shots were cleared off the goal line by defender Samuel Hodgeson. The third chance was a rising shot from 15 yards out that Weaver just deflected over the crossbar with 20:45 left in regulation time.
Two minutes later, Matt Doran hit the crossbar for the Olympians, but the ball caromed away.
Dryden did have one great chance early in the second half, but Nick Lange missed an open net by hitting the shot high over the crossbar. With 2:19 left, Lange was robbed again by a great diving save by Root and the final shot of regulation time was a bullet just wide of the left post by Doran for Marathon.
Dryden had the better of play in the two 10-minute segments, but nearly every attempt was shot over the crossbar. In the final twin five-minute segments, the Purple Lion again missed a golden opportunity as Will Edgecomb rifled a shot that Root blocked. The rebound rolled away and Luce tried to follow, but a defender slid behind Root and stopped the ball from crossing the line. Root then rolled and covered the ball.
“WE DODGED A lot of bullets in the first half,” said Marathon coach Chip Stewart. “We did not get a shot in the first 40 minutes. We played more of our style in the second half and got some great scoring opportunities. We took them to the limit and I was very pleased with our play tonight.
“I cannot say enough about how Derek Root played,” Stewart added of his keeper. “Forget the penalty-kick shootout. He played great. He kept us in the game with some great saves. He had to scramble for a couple of ball and got to them.”
Root finished with 13 saves and Weaver had seven saves for Dryden. The Purple Lions finished with a 24-9 edge in shots.
In the shootout, Jason Luce, Shane Koenig and Kasey Bush helped Marathon build a 3-1 lead. Trevor Totman scored first for Dryden, Justin Sinnegan fired over the crossbar. Lange closed the gap to 3-2 and Weaver made a nice save of the PK of Doran. Weaver then stepped to the line and scored a PK off his own to even the score at 3-3. Aubrey Brown, Vinnie Powierski and Doug Whitney would score for the Olympians with Whitney’s shot being slowed down by Weaver, but the spin carried the ball across the goal line.
Luce, Pat Streeter and Billy Pargh countered for the Purple Lions and the PK score was deadlocked at 6-6. The next Marathon shot sailed high and wide to the shooter’s left and Beno ended things with first winning shot, capping a wild match that lasted nearly three hours.



Marathon girls blanked by NV

Staff Writer

CANDOR — It is all about momentum and Newark Valley soccer girls got it at the start of each half.
The end result was a 2-0 win by the Cardinals over Marathon Central Wednesday and a trip to the Interscholastic Athletic Conference championship match against Lansing at 5 p.m. Saturday at Tompkins Cortland Community College in Dryden.
Lansing (16-0-0 overall) edged Candor 3-2 in double overtime Wednesday on a Kathryn Hornibrook goal in the other semifinal contest. Hornibrook scored twice for the undefeated LadyCats.
Newark Valley started quickly. Michelle Teutken scored off a loose ball scramble in the front of the goal after a corner kick by Valerie Hanson with 30:45 left in the first half for the 1-0 lead.
“Momentum was the difference,” said Newark Valley coach Chuck Schneider. “It was good to get the first goal, but we knew if we could get a second goal that we could deflate them (Marathon) a little bit. We were able to take over much of the game after that second goal.”
Marathon (12-5) was reeling from the early goal and the Olympians remained in a defensive mode much of the first half, very cautious of the speed and quickness of the Cardinal forwards.
“We were able to beat them to the ball with our speed up front,” Schneider said. “That allowed us to put more pressure on their defense. That opened up chances for more crossing passes and more potential open looks at the goal.”
“We went into halftime thinking that we had come back from a 1-0 deficit to Union Springs,” said Marathon coach Trish Hayes. “We had the confidence that we could do it again. We had some momentum from the end of the first half. The second goal really set us back on our heels.
“We did start the games with four midfielder,” Hayes added. “We had two defensive middies and just one up front. After that first goal, we did change things up. We moved more players towards the front and we did seem to start building our momentum up.”
Dryden 5, Waverly 0: Brighid Rose tallied twice as the Purple Lions (7-10) closed out the regular season with a 5-0 non-league soccer win at Waverly. Clara Gallagher, Audra Jenne and Taylor White also netted single goals for the Purple Lions.
Dryden will travel to fifth-seed Susquehanna Valley (8-6-2) for Section 4, Class B first-round action at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday as the number 12-seed.




Cincy wraps up league title with shutout

The Central Counties League has a new boys’ soccer champion.
Host Cincinnatus Central, in its first game ever on a new field on Route 26 east of the village, blanked second-place DeRuyter 4-0 Wednesday afternoon to wrap up a 6-0-2 league season and claim the crown.
That success snapped McGraw’s four-year hold on the top spot. McGraw’s Eagles were also in action Wednesday, scoring a 2-0 non-league win over visiting Newfield.
Cincinnatus 4, DeRuyter 0: Goalkeeper Wolfy Rheinheimer made four saves, and he and the Red Lion defense recorded their seventh shutout of the season as the Red Lions won their first league title since 1996.
The hosts took 31 shots to four for the Rockets (5-2-1 league, 6-7-1 overall), who got all of their shots in the first half. Kyle Blanchard scored twice while Zack Halstrom and Tony Malmquist had a goal apiece for Cincy, which led 1-0 at halftime.
“We controlled the ball throughout most of the game,” Red Lions coach Leigh Wright said. “Playing on our new 75-by-102 field allowed us to spread them out so they couldn’t get into their game. What few attacks they did have were with the long ball, which Wolfy came out and stopped or Cameron Blanchard stopped with ease. This was a good game for us as we look toward sectionals.”
The Rockets, who got 16 saves from keeper Dustin McClure, wrap up the regular season by hosting Otselic Valley Friday on Homecoming Night.
McGraw 2, Newfield 0: Eric Ralyea scored just past the midway point of the first half and Tyler Stiles got his first varsity goal with 6:24 left in the game as the Eagles improved to 5-11-1 overall. Keeper Josh Shepard made three saves to record the shutout as the hosts had a 7-3 shot advantage.
“I thought we played better than we have the last couple of games. Newfield played a good game, which made the contest more enjoyable to watch. We could have moved the ball a little better, but overall the team played well,” said coach Cory Smith.
“It was a special game for me as Terry Habecker, the Newfield coach, was my high school coach at Ithaca High. This being my first year coaching, it made the game fun. It was also our Senior Night, and I was able to play all five of my seniors — Brad MacLean, Anthony Powell, Matt Towers, Ethan Phelps and Tyler Stiles - all game. They all played well.” Ralyea followed his own shot, which had hit the post, to open the scoring and Stiles put a shot from 25 yards out over the hands of Newfield keeper Roy Trask, who made five saves.