November 1 , 2006


Trivisonno goals lift Red Dragons


Joe McIntyre/staff photographer
SUNY Cortland's goal keeper Megan Thayer and Caitlin Cimino (6) clear the ball from in front of the goal during a Buffalo State corner kick in the first half. The Red Dragons opened up the playoffs with a 2-0 victory Tuesday.

SUNY Cortland women wasted little time getting the upper hand to get post-season play underway.
Sophomore Katie Trivisonno scored the first of her two goals 3:15 into Tuesday afternoon’s SUNY Athletic Conference quarterfinal round game with Buffalo State, as the Red Dragons went on to post a 2-0 victory at Holloway Field.
With the win, the third seeded Red Dragons (10-7-1) moves on to the conference semifinals and face second-seeded Brockport at 1:30 p.m. on Friday at the Hall of Fame Fields in Oneonta.
The sixth seeded Bengals fell to 10-7-2 with the loss.
Both Trivisonno goals came in the opening half, providing a 2-0 lead that goalie Megan Thayer protected with her fifth shutout of the season. Thayer made two saves in the blanking.
Junior Colleen Martin set up the first Trivisonno goal, crossing the ball into the box from the left side. Trivisonno, out of Owego Free Academy, beat the Buffalo State defense to the ball and chipped a shot over junior goalie Katie Melsert for her team-high eighth goal of the season.
In the 17th minute, Melsert kept it a 1-0 game with a diving save at the left post on a shot from Cortland junior Mandy Womelsdorf. Eight minutes later, however, Trivisonno struck again.
Sophomore Caitlin Cimino delivered a long free kick into the right side of the box that bounced over a Bengal defender and to Trivisonno. The Cortland forward made a move in the box and delivered a low shot that caromed off the inside of the left post and in the goal.
The score gave Trivisonno 50 career points in two seasons as she became the 22nd Red Dragon to reach the milestone.
The Red Dragons nearly pushed their lead to 3-0 in the 38th minute, but junior Ilona Szotyori’s header off a corner kick from freshman and Dryden High grad Anna Whitmore hit off the crossbar. The Bengals’ best chance of the first half came just before intermission.
 Freshman Mindy Wendt lofted a long shot from outside the box that eluded keeper Thayer’s leaping attempt and hit on the bottom side of the crossbar and dropped straight down to the goal line. Thayer was able to control the rebound and clear the ball out of danger.
Early in the second half, Trivisonno had too more excellent chances to add to Cortland’s lead, but one shot was denied by Melsert and another spun just wide. As the game continued, the Bengals turned up the pressure and ultimately had two outstanding opportunities to get on the scoreboard in the closing minutes.
After a corner kick was served into the box in the 87th minute, junior Maddie Morosey struck a shot that was labeled for the lower right side of the goal, but Cimino thwarted the chance at the goal line. The rebound bounced out to Wendt who had a shot denied at the left post by Cortland sophomore Jerrica Lovett. A shot over the goal ensued and Cortland held on for the win.
In the other first round game yesterday, Geneseo nipped Fredonia 2-1.
Red Dragon Men Ousted
PLATTSBURGH — The nationally 11th-ranked Plattsburgh men’s soccer team scored a goal in each half en route to a 2-0 victory over Cortland Tuesday afternoon in the SUNYAC semifinals.
With the loss, the Red Dragons finished their season at 7-9-3. The defending champion Cardinals improved to 15-2-2 and advance to face Fredonia in the conference semifinals.
The Cardinals took a 1-0 lead in the 31st minute when Mark Misiak assisted John LoGuirato’s eighth goal of the season. Plattsburgh added an insurance goal in the 61st minute. Misiak and Claudio Dias put together quick one-touch passes that led to Tom Schezer’s goal.
Sophomore Kyle Bigney stopped a career-best seven 
shots for Cortland, while John San Filippo made three saves for the Cardinals.
Also in quarterfinal round play, Oswego blanked Brockport 1-0 yesterday.




Homer, CHS to meet in ‘A’ final

Trojans beat CBA on Finn OT goal

Staff Writer

CHITTENANGO — Meghan Finn has responded to the pressure all season long and Christian Brothers Academy will be very glad to have the Homer Central senior graduate in June.
For the second time this season against the Brothers and the fifth time in six 1-0 Trojan wins, Finn notched the game’s only tally. Her latest heroics came 23:39 into the first overtime Tuesday night as the Trojans ended the two-year title reign of the Brothers with another 1-0 escape in the Section 3 Class A semifinal round.
Top seed Homer (18-1-1 overall) will face archrival Cortland High (16-3-1) in the Class A Championship game at the SUNY Cortland Stadium Complex Friday at 7:30 p.m. The Purple Tigers, who defeated Whitesboro 4-2 in the other semifinal, are the only team to defeat the Trojans this season.
“It feels so good,” said Finn. “We have been waiting so long for this. Everyone on this team had a great feeling about this game. My teammates told me that I could score so I knew I just had to do it.”
Finn picked up a loose ball near midfield and headed down the left flank. About 25 yards from the goal, she made a nice move to beat her defender and moved in alone on CBA goalkeeper Grace Barnard (four saves). Barnard stepped out and Finn found an opening to the keeper’s left side and fired the shot home from 12 yards out to break the scoreless deadlock.
“I just turned with the ball,” said Finn. “I knew I could beat the girl (marking me), because their defenders are not that fast. I saw an opening and I took the shot.”
“It was a great goal by Meghan,” Homer coach Jim Baranello said. “It was a great shot with her left foot. Meghan made Grace come out of the goal and he found a hole. She deserved that goal because of all the hard work she did during the night. She has been scoring big goals for us a lot this year and there are many games where she jumpstarts us with the first goal or helps us get that first goal.
“This is a great win for our program. We have been to this (semifinal) game four times and it is the first time that we came through it. I am very happy for our kids and proud of what they have done. We kept our composure in the first half and we really controlled play in the second half.”
The wind dictated which team controlled play in the 80 minutes of regulation time as CBA (13-5-2) held a 5-2 edge in shots through the first 40 minutes.
The biggest scoring threat for CBA came with four minutes left in the half. Hillary Simon (five saves) made the initial stop in the box, but the ball remained free. M.E. Lapham got a foot on the ball and sent a shot towards the open goal. Trojan senior Molly Siwula hustled back and cleared the ball out of danger and ended one of the few good CBA scoring chances.
Both Lapham and Amanda Koval missed good scoring chances near the midway point of the first half, but Simon made the saves. The senior keeper was active early in the game scooping up long through passes and handling balls sent back to her by her teammates, which helped her stayed focused during the 16th shutout of the season.
“It always helps to get some action,” said Simon of her busy first half. “A lot of games I have just stood back by the goal without much to do. Even if I don’t touch the ball, I still have a lot of confidence in my defense. Molly Siwula, Meghan Marchetti and myself have played together for eight years. We really have this trust thing going on. I know if I come out of the goal, there will be someone behind me because they are backing me up. I back them up and they back me up in return.”
CBA would not get one shot off during second half play as Homer took charge and controlled much of the action.
“I am very excited about the win,” said Simon. “We really deserved the chance to reach the finals. We have felt like this is our year. It also means a lot to our area that we get to play Cortland again. It says a lot about the quality of players we have at both schools.”
“Hillary had a spectacular night,” said Baranello. “She was nervous early in the game. Her clearances, her serves, everything was done well. The one problem that Hillary did have, Molly was there to clear things out for us.”
With 27:30 left in regulation time, the Trojans were robbed by Barnard in an effort to take the lead. Kaylee Benz found an open lane after gathering a through pass. She rocketed a shot that Barnard made a great diving save on to keep the score at 0-0.
With 17 minutes to play, the Brothers dodged another bullet when Laura Buerkle lifted a direct kick from 40 yards out. Barnard leaped and missed the ball, but it settled on the top of the net and rolled behind the goal. When the net first moved, it looked like it was a goal, but Barnard then went around the post and picked the ball up off the outside of the netting.
One last scoring chance with 2:15 left in regulation time came as Erika Trivisonno rocketed a crossing pass from the end line towards the goal. With Finn closing quickly, Barnard reached the ball first and covered up to force overtime.
While Finn capitalized on the only real scoring threat by the Trojans in either of the two 10-minutes overtime sessions, CBA missed on three good chances as Simon made three clutch saves.
Lapham fired a 30-yard shot with 3:36 left in the first OT and Jamie Carrick tried from 10 yards farther out with 45 seconds to go. In the second overtime, Lapham had one more chance, but Simon stopped a shot form 15 yards away.
As time wound down, CBA tried a couple of desperation shots, but both tries were smothered by the defensive efforts of Siwula, Morgan Osborne and Marchetti.
The final horn sounded and the Trojans began a long awaited celebration.
“Homer is having one heck of a season,” said CBA coach Mike McQuarter. “They played a great game tonight and they played us tough twice during the season. Hats off to them because they did what they had to do to win.
“We had couple of chances and could not put the ball away. You needed to capitalize of those chances and we did not do that, but you cannot judge what our girls have done based on one game,” he added. “These girls have done a lot for our program over the past three or four years. This is simply Homer’s year and I wish them good luck the rest of the season.”


Purple Tigers roll past Whitesboro

SOLVAY — The Cortland High girls’ soccer team scored early and often Tuesday afternoon in the Section 3 Class A semifinals against Whitesboro.
The second-seeded Purple Tigers’ 4-2 win over No. 3 Warriors set up a rubber match Friday at SUNY Cortland’s Stadium Complex at 7:30 p.m., with top-seeded Homer Central, which downed No. 4 Syracuse CBA 1-0 in overtime in the other semi.
“The girls really came to play tonight,” said Cortland coach Abbey Albright, whose team improved to 16-3-1 with the win. “Nobody wanted this season to be over and that heart showed on the field. After our first two quick goals the girls were really into the game.
“During the second half the team as a whole didn’t come out as strong because of the score,” she added, the Purple Tigers up 3-0 at the break. “About 15 minutes into the second half Whitesboro started to pack it in up top, resulting in their two goals. After Whitesboro scored their two goals against us, the girls picked it up and began to play our game.”
Sophomore forward Katherine Hunsberger opened the scoring 52 just seconds into the game with an unassisted tally. Getting by two defenders after getting the ball at midfield and blasting a shot past Whitesboro goalie Rachel Edgin. A little over 10 minutes later, with 28:48 remaining until halftime, sophomore central midfielder Casey Marks headed home a right-wing corner kick from classmate and fellow midfielder Jenna Phelps to the far post after the ball was headed straight up into the air by a Warrior defender.
Cortland had looked a bit flat in beating 10th-seeded Vernon-Verona-Sherrill 2-0 at home last Thursday, and Albright noted: “We knew that Whitesboro had beaten V-V-S and the girls were prepared for the physical and mental challenge. The first goal brought them together with the attitude of ‘OK, we can do this; let’s get another one.’ Their intensity level went up even more with the second goal.”
Just over five minutes later Caitlin Stevens headed a Whitesboro shot off a corner kick out of harm’s way, and four minutes after that Marks hit the left post on a shot off a corner kick.
Junior forward Natalie Muka got what proved to be the winning goal with 2:08 left in the half, as senior midfielder Kim Natoli received the ball 25 yards out on the left side and passed it to Muka, who was also on the left and beat a defender before tucking the ball inside the far post.
Whitesboro, which finished at 13-5-2, got its first goal with 18:48 left as Amanda Flisnik found the net behind Cortland keeper Natalie Khazzaka, who just over two minutes later deflected a high shot just over the crossbar. A similar shot, from 15 yards out by the Warriors’ Alyssa Upson, made it a 3-2 game 28             seconds later.
Just 48 seconds after that, however, Hunsberger was brought down in the penalty area and Casey Marks converted the penalty kick, blasting a shot that Edgin deflected to her right, the ball then hitting the post and going in.
Four Cortland shots narrowly missed to the left of the goal in a short spurt with less than 15 minutes left to close out the scoring chances.
Cortland had an 18-4 shot advantage, Khazzaka making two saves to Edgin’s six.
 “Caitlin Stevens made a great defensive play for us in the first half, and Natalie Khazzaka also made a spectacular save in the second half to stop another goal from occurring,” Albright said. “This is the first time the Cortland girls’ soccer program has advanced to the sectional finals. With all the hard work that the girls have put in this season, they really deserved the win and all of their accomplishments that have taken place during the post-season.”
With two sectional victories, this year’s edition of the Purple Tigers matched the entire total for the program (which started on the varsity level in 1997) heading into this season, one win in each of the last two seasons.