November 1 , 2007


Olympians get to defend title


Dick Reygers/contributing photographer
Lansing’s Ryan Mallinson heads in the only goal scored in a 1-0 victory over Dryden in Wednesday’s Class B semifinal game, Purple Lions goalie T.J. Weaver defending on the play.

DELHI — Marathon Central boys will return to Wright National Soccer Complex in Oneonta Saturday in search of its third consecutive Section 4 Class C soccer crown.
The fourth-seed Olympians got a goal from Matt Doran 14 minutes into the match and the defense made the goal stand up in a 1-0 semifinal victory at top-seeded and previously undefeated Delhi Wednesday.
Marathon (15-3-2) will face second-seed Spencer-Van Etten (17-2-2) in the finals, the Panthers a penalty-kick shootout winner over third-seed Candor (13-3-1) in the other semifinal played yesterday. S-VE won the shootout 5-3 after a 4-4 tie in overtime.
The time for the Marathon match-up with Spencer-Van Etten has yet to be determined.
In Class B semifinal play, second-seed Lansing edged third-seed Dryden 1-0 while top-seed Susquehanna Valley blanked fourth-seed Chenango Forks 2-0.
Marathon 1, Delhi 0: Doran broke from a pack of players and collected a lofted ball from Aubrey Brown in the 14th minute of play. Doran won the race to the ball and chipped it over goalkeeper Pat Cobane (seven saves) as he was charging out of the net.
The rest of the game saw the Olympians deliver the defense needed to advance to the finals.
“We played real strong defensively,” said Marathon coach Chip Stewart. “Aubrey Brown did a great job marking Avery Meehan. Jason Luce marked Alex Throssell well and Kasey Bush helped to mark anyone else. Dylan Barber did a nice job on the outside.
“The goal was an added benefit in the first half,” Stewart added. “We were going into the wind and our goalkeeper (Derrek Root) had the sun in his eyes. We did go into a defensive mode the rest of the half and Derrek made some big saves.”
Root finished with eight saves in the shutout effort.
Meehan had scored 30 goals this season and Throssell 27 coming into the semifinals for Delhi (18-1).
The best Delhi effort came in the first half when Root beat Bulldog Eddie Reed to a ball in the box and punched it out of bounds. The ensuing corner kick was cleared efficiently and the threat was over.
Marathon began the second half flat-footed and Delhi turned up the pressure. The Bulldogs got a couple of good scoring chances, but the Olympian defense rose to the occasion and made the plays.
“Delhi is a good team,” said Stewart. “They can make a lot of good things happen.
“After the initial surge in the second half,” Stewart added. “We did not give them any real scoring chances in the final 20 minutes. Our defense really kept control.”
Marathon held a 12-10 advantage in shots while each team had four corner kicks.
In a regular season match-up, Spencer-Van Etten was a 4-0 winner over the Olympians.
Against Candor, Colton Wigsten had two goals, Tyler Bailey had two assists and goalie Justin Woodbury came up big for Spencer-VanEtten before the penalty kick shootout victory. Pat Thompson scored three of the four goals for Candor (13-3-1)
Lansing 1, Dryden 0: Ryan Mallinson scored the only goal of the goal with 13:58 left in the match to lift Lansing (16-1-2) to victory. It was the culmination of a great passing sequence.
“It was only of the nice three pass sequences I have ever seen,” said Lansing coach Adam Heck. “Dryden really outplayed us in the first half, but we stayed focused and it finally paid off. Ryan had a great finish for the goal.
“The real key to our win was our ability to keep our composure,” Heck continued. “Things did get a little chippy after we took the lead, but our guys stayed focused on the big picture and kept playing their game.”
The scoring sequence started with a crossing pass by Walker Diebolt in the box. The cross was followed by a header to Dan Hranek, who headed the ball to Mallinson. The conclusion of the play was a header by Mallinson over Dryden goalkeeper T.J. Weaver (four saves).
Dryden (16-2-2) got few good looks and the Bobcat defense was solid. Michael Bradford made five saves for Lansing.
Susquehanna Valley (14-4-1) knocked off fellow STAC rival Chenango Forks on goals by Ronnie Graham and Preston Sturdevant, while goalie Matt Shell had six saves in the shutout.
The victorious Sabers had a 14-7 shot edge in the victory.




Eagles headed back to ‘D’ finals

Staff Writer

WATERVILLE — The McGraw Central girls’ soccer team, which was supposedly looking at a rebuilding (reloading?) project this fall, is back in its familiar late-season spot.
The third-seeded Eagles rallied from an early deficit Wednesday night to score a wind-swept 2-1 victory over No. 2 Old Forge in the semifinals of the Section 3 Class D tournament at Waterville’s Brothertown Stadium.
McGraw will meet top-seeded Lyme in the championship game Saturday at the SUNY Cortland Stadium Complex, the time to be determined.
It will be the fourth title game in five years for the Eagles, who have won the sectional crown in each of their previous three appearances. Lyme was a 1-0 winner over No. 4 Hamilton in the second sudden-death overtime in Wednesday’s other semifinal contest played at Corcoran High School in Syracuse.
Sophomore forward Nicole Law, the daughter of coach Dave Law, got the game-winner for McGraw (19-1-1) Wednesday. She took a cross from Kaitelyn Leonard and unleashed a high shot with the wind from 15 yards out on the near right side that found the top near corner of the net despite the best efforts of Eskimo senior goalkeeper Logan Smith. It was the first varsity point for Smith, who was called up from the junior varsity team for the post-season.
“I had a defender in front of me, so I chopped to the left and used my left foot to shoot,” Law said of her 36th, and thus far most important, goal of the season. “When they scored first, I was afraid we were going to lose and that this was the end. But after we tied it, we all got more confident. We knew we had to keep it up.”
Old Forge, which finished the season at 17-2-1, opened the scoring 7:20 into the game as sophomore forward Kelsey Kiefer took a pass from junior forward Kerrin Ehrensbeck on the near right side and put a high shot, similar to Law’s, over the head of Eagles junior keeper Chelsea Hayes.
Kiefer had earlier missed wide to the right on a semi-breakaway 5:20 into the game, and after her goal the Eskimos kept up the pressure, with a couple of fruitless scoring opportunities, before McGraw took advantage of its first real scoring opportunity and tied the game.
Law, temporarily stationed at center midfield, found fellow sophomore forward Kierra Mack with a crossing pass on the near right side. Mack, with three defenders around her, sent a hard, rolling shot to the far side that that Smith dove on but bobbled — the ball trickling behind her and into the net for Mack’s 15th goal of the season.