May 16, 2013


Red Dragons gain semis


Bob Ellis/staff photographer
Nicky Donovan, right, of Western New England, tries to slow down Pat Baldwin, of SUNY Cortland, advancing the ball upfield Thursday during the first half of the Red Dragons’ 12-7 win in the NCAA Division III quarterfinals.

The nationally top-ranked SUNY Cortland men’s lacrosse team outscored Western New England University, 7-2, in the second half to earn a 12-7 victory in the NCAA Division III quarterfinals Wednesday night at the Stadium Complex.
The Red Dragons improved to 19-0 on the season and will face RIT in a national semifinal game on Sunday. The Tigers defeated Tufts, 14-5, in another Wednesday quarterfinal game.
Ten different players scored for Cortland led by junior Mike Cummings and sophomore Benjamin Dunlavey with two each. Junior Cody Consul recorded one goal and two assists and junior Joe Slavik and sophomore Mike Cantelli contributed one goal and one assist each. Senior Brandon Mulholland, sophomore Patrick Brown, Billy Davis and Matt Rakoczy and freshman James Stavrakis each tallied one goal.
Senior goalie Mike Kaminski stopped four shots for the Red Dragons. Freshman Pat Baldwin won 14 of 17 faceoffs and collected a game-high nine ground balls. Slavik and senior C.J. Nye registered five ground balls apiece.
Senior Ryan Marcus and junior Adam Knapton paced the offense for the Golden Bears (13-7) with two goals each. Sophomore Jon Bota had one goal and two assists, senior James Reardon chipped in with one goal and one assist and junior Sean Lawton scored once Sophomore goalie Brandon Body turned aside 14 shots. Senior Aaron Harris scooped up six ground balls, while junior Jack Liacos collected four.
The Red Dragons jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead less than seven minutes into the game as Dunlavey scored twice and Brown netted a goal. The Golden Bears answered with goals from Knapton, Lawton and Bota inside the final 6:15 to tie the game at the end of the quarter, 3-3. Cantelli and Reardon traded goals in the second quarter before Slavik gave Cortland a 5-4 lead at the half with a score 16 seconds before intermission.
After Marcus tied the game 41 seconds into the third quarter, the Red Dragons netted five of the next six goals from five different players to build a 10-6 lead at the end of 45 minutes. Knapton pulled Western New England to within 10-7 at the 8:15 mark of the fourth quarter, but Cummings and Rakoczy pushed the lead to 12-7 as Cortland extended its home winning streak to 31 straight.


To read this article and more, pick up today's Cortland Standard
Click here to subscribe