September 7, 2006


Red Dragons second half scoring spurt tops Elmira


Bob Ellis/staff photographer
SUNY Cortland’s Kiley Hadzicki, left, leaps as she pushes the ball past Christine Domingo (24) of Elmira College Wednesday at Holloway Field. Cortland was a 3-0 soccer winner.

Anything but discouraged after squandering first half scoring chances, the SUNY Cortland women’s soccer team finally found the range.
Sophomore Katie Trivisonno and freshman Anna Whitmore reach finished with a goal and an assists as the Red Dragons pulled away from a scoreless halfitme tie and defeated visiting Elmira College 3-0 Wednesday at Holloway Field.
Cortland improved to 2-1 after the outing, which was delayed_30 minutes due to lightning. It was_the season opener for the visiting Soaring Eagles.
The Red Dragons, who out-shot Elmira, 24-3, in the game, had multiple chances to score in the opening half as they carried play.
An Elmira player headed sophomore Kiley Hadzicki’s long shot off  the line in the 18th minute. Trivisonno put a shot just over the crossbar in the 19th minute. Junior Mandy Womelsdorf hit the crossbar from 25 yards out in the 25th minute, and junior Andrea Marino hit the right post in the 30th minute.
In the second half, the Red Dragons continued to pressure and finally broke through in the 52nd minute. Whitmore, from Dryden, delivered a long corner kick to the far post that Trivisonno — last year’s Red Dragons scoring leader as a freshman with 11 tallies — cleanly headed past Elmira junior goalie Meaghan Doherty.
Womelsdorf made it a 2-0 game in the 59th minute as Cortland capitalized on a two-on-one. Trivisonno worked the ball on the left side and sent a perfect diagonal pass to Womelsdorf, who beat Doherty with a shot inside the right post.
Whitmore finished off the scoring in the 76th minute. After a foul was whistled on an Elmira player, Whitmore unleashed a free kick from 40 yards away that eluded Doherty at the far left post.
Junior Megan Thayer made one save in 81 minutes of action before giving way to junior Shannon Burrows, who did not stop a shot in the final nine minutes for the_Red Dragons.
The Red Dragons have a week off before opening up SUNY Athletic Conference play Wednesday, traveling to Utica to face SUNY Institute of Technology in a 4 p.m. game.
CORTLAND MEN and Alfred were both looking for their first victory of the season, but played to a 2-2 overtime standoff.
The Red Dragons (0-2-1) did rally from a 2-0 deficit in the second half to prevent a third straight loss. Senior midfielder Ryan Tronovitch scored in the 72nd minute to put the first dent in a two-goal Alfred (0-2-1) lead, with senior Dan Dunn scoring the equalizer eight minutes later off a George Morningstar assist.
Junior Steve Axtell had four saves in goal for the Red Dragons, who visit Ithaca College Saturday for a 1 p.m. non-conference contest.



Trojans will test Phoenix

Staff Writer

Graduations took their toll on the Phoenix Firebirds so coach Dave Hendrickson has gone into a rebuilding mode for this 2006 season.
With just three starters back on each side of the ball, Phoenix grabbed a 7-0 lead against Westhill last week and hung tough until penalties and big plays took its toll during a 38-7 defeat. The task is not any easier Friday afternoon as Homer Central rolls into Phoenix for a 4:30 kickoff.
“We are still in a learning curve,” Hendrickson said. “We have a lot of kids up from the junior varsity program and it takes some time to adjust. We made some mistakes against Westhill and they took advantage of this mistakes.”
“Phoenix keeps improving,” Homer coach Gary Podsiedlik said about this week’s opponent. “The bottom just fell out from under them in the second half against Westhill. They looked pretty good in the scrimmage here two weeks ago so I expect things won’t be easy Friday.
“I would expect them to throw the ball a little more this week. I know they have the Wing-T mentality, but they could be very dangerous if we let them hang around like Skaneateles did last week.”
The Firebirds are a Wing-T offense with multiple looks, traps, counters and lots of misdirection in the backfield. There is not the grinding-it-out, power back like Nate Grabowski this season so Coach Hendrickson has gone to another approach, a three-headed approach.
“We are trying to balance our offensive attack this year,” Hendrickson said. “We have two good running back and a solid fullback, so we are trying to get them all involved.”
Senior cornerback-turned-quarterback Mike McMonagle (5-feet-10, 170 pounds) calls the signals and can hand the ball to either junior running back Paul Raymond_(5-9, 160) or R.J. Beeles (5-11, 170) or senior fullback Travis Hughes (5-9. 176).



Third straight Cortland win

ROCHESTER — SUNY Cortland did not have much to show for a 25-shot barrage Wednesday afternoon, but the one goal produced by that offensive flurry was enough to deliver a field hockey victory.
Freshman Christine McCabe, out of Greene, scored her first collegiate goal 12 minutes into the second half to lift the undefeated Red Dragons to a 1-0 victory over Rochester at Fauver Stadium.
Cortland is off to a 3-0 start to the season, all three wins coming on the road. The host Yellowjackets fell to 0-2.
McCabe took a pass from sophomore Kayla Chambers on a penalty corner play and blasted a 12-yard shot from straight on under the dive of Rochester junior goalie Rachel Cahan.
While Cortland was unable to score again, with Cahan having a stellar 20-save performance including 14 stops in a scoreless opening half, Rochester could not answer. Cortland sophomore and Marathon Central grad Stacy Billings made two saves in goal for her second shutout of the season.
Cahan has been especially stubborn against the Red Dragons, having made 18 saves in Rochester’s 1-0 loss to the Red Dragons last season.
Cortland completes a four-game road schedule on Friday at Houghton College and will play its first home game on Saturday, Sept. 16, against Hamilton College at noon.
CHAMBERS HONORED: Cortland sophomore forward Kayla Chambers has been selected as the SUNY Athletic Conference field hockey Player of the Week for the week ending Sept. 3.
Chambers recorded two goals, including the game-winner, and added an assist in the Red Dragons’ season-opening 4-0 win at Nazareth College last Friday.



Marathon pulls away from S-VE

MARATHON — Clinging to a 1-0 halftime lead, Marathon Central boys poured in four second-half goals as the Olympians improved to 2-0 with a solid 5-0 Interscholastic Athletic Conference soccer crossover win against visiting Spencer-Van Etten Wednesday.
In other IAC action, Dryden and Lansing battled to a 1-1 overtime draw, Union Springs shut out Newfield 2-0, Southern Cayuga and Elmira Notre Dame played to a 2-2 overtime tie and Newark Valley nipped Candor 3-2.
Marathon 5, Spencer-VE 0: Jason Luce and Zach Salisbury each netted two goals for the Olympians while Matt Braman tallied once. Mark Parker dished out two assists with one assist each for Brett Padbury and Andrew Parker.
Josh Kashuba made seven saves to record his first shutout of the 2006 season while Justin Woodbury made 13 saves for S-VE.
Dryden 1, Lansing 1: In a very intense game, Dryden drew first blood when James Holman split two defenders and was pulled down in the box. Nick Lange took the penalty kick for the Purple_Lions and gave his team a 1-0 lead with eight minutes left in the first half.
 “We really dictated play,” Dryden coach Laszlo Engel said. “We forced Lansing to make their plays predictable.”
Dryden kept the lead through the first half and late into the second half. The Bobcats got a golden opportunity with 1:31 left in regulation time to tie the game. Adam Hardy was fouled in the box and the call was made. Lucas Heffron converted a penalty kick, which knotted the score and would send this crossover match into overtime.
“(Goalkeeper) Spencer Hoyt made a great dive and just missed the ball,” Engle said of the tying goal by Lansing.
Neither team would find the net as Lansing goalkeeper Teagan Barresi (seven saves) and Hoyt (six saves) were up to the task to help their teams remained tied.
“We hit the crossbar a couple of times and both teams really had some chances to win the game,” Engel said. “Everyone played very well. There was good sportsmanship and conduct of both sides. It was a great game for the fans to watch.
“I was really proud of my guys. They played with great intensity for 90 minutes.”